Writing the Weird Western
The American West has enchanted science fiction and fantasy
writers since the days of Edgar Rice Burrough’s Barsroom series and
those of Ambrose Bierce’s “Incident at Owl Creek.” With popular television
shows such as The Lone Ranger, The Wild Wild West, and Little House
on the Prairie the idyllic movement of going west has established
itself in the American mythos.
This course will teach how to write a western and then, how to make it weird.
The west was weird!
- Learn the mechanics of writing a western (archetypes, historical setting, and theme).
- Understand the history of the weird western
- Learn the plot structure for a short story
- Become familiar with the historical context of westerns so it can be used effectively in the storytelling
- Learn how to incorporate their voice for unique and diverse storytelling